Want to stress less? Try these simple, evidence-based strategies from a Moda Health stress management specialist and health coach.
- Spend time with friends — the furry kind count, too. Connecting with supportive company, releases the hormone oxytocin and produces a calming effect.
- Enjoy a releasing breath. Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose and exhale out your mouth with an “ah” sound. Then, smile.
- Break free from old habits by rewiring your brain. The more you repeat something, the stronger new neural networks become. Try meditating on gratitude. Silently repeat, “May I be grateful” as you breathe slowly and deeply. You can use, “May I be … ” and substitute any adjective that helps.
- Hit the pause button. Notice where you are, how you feel, what you can reach out and touch, and what you can see, hear, and smell at any moment.
- There’s an app for this, too. Check out relaxation sessions on Headspace or Calm.